Monday, November 15, 2010

Banana Cranberry Bread



This week is a busy one - full of baking and regular life, too!  I'm blessed to have a close knit group of friends (who also apparently like to have parties all in the same span of time!)  I was asked to bring dessert for one, and "whatever I wanted" (dessert) to the second one.  :)

In typical Maggie fashion, I forgot that the two soirees were only one day apart, and having only two days this week that are free to bake, I needed to come up with something that was quick, easy, sweet and freezable.  Hence, this recipe found on Chocolate and Zucchini.  When I first read it, I had reservations because I didn't know if bananas and cranberries were a good combo (and Chris still maintains they are NOT), and secondly - and we talked about this - I do not like bananas much.

Oh, and I'm not a huge fan of bread.

Anyway, I know of a lot of people who like banana bread, and it's really a staple at holidays (it's on all the food trays, I notice).  And I thought in the end, the zing of cranberry might cut into the cloying sweetness of the bananas (which is why I don't like banana bread in the first place).  So I gave it a go.

The recipe calls for a food processor.  Trust me on this one, you'll need SOMETHING to chop up those darn cranberries.  I tried to use the beaters but they didn't work.  :(  I ended up transferring the partial batter to a blender, blending down the cranberries and pulsing the banana slices a few times.  It called for chunky pieces, but unfortunately mine was a nice pinky, seed-y sweet, buttery smoothie.  When I tried it, I changed my mind about cranberries and bananas - they do in fact make a nice couple. :)

The original recipe makes one loaf (I used a nine inch loaf pan), but I doubled it (for obvious reasons).  And I will make another double batch later this week. This bread is easy and the best part is the presentation.  It's a lovely crusty on the outside and pink inside.  It smells divine while baking (cranberries and cinnamon is going to be an official new favorite) and the taste is lightly sweet with hints of banana and cinnamon and a slightly tangy kick.  Plus, it might make an excellent Christmas gift!  :)



Doubled recipe from Chocolate and Zucchini:


Cranberry Banana Bread

- 1/4 C (55 g) butter, softened
- 1 C (200 g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 small bananas, sliced
- 1 C (110 g) cranberries
- 1/4 C water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 C (200 g) flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
(Serves 6.)

Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F). Grease a 9 by 5 inch (22 by 12 cm) loaf pan.

Cream the butter and sugar together in a food processor. Add in the eggs one by one, mixing well between each addition. Add in the banana slices, the cranberries, the water and the vanilla extract. Mix again until blended, but not too much : it's nice if the banana and cranberries are not completely mushed.



Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the dry ingredients into the batter, and mix until just combined -- do not overmix.



Pour the batter into the pan and bake for approximately 55 min or until the top of the cake is nicely brown and a cake tester comes out clean.

Let rest for ten minutes, then run a knife around to loosen the sides, and turn out on a rack to cool completely.

Original recipe : Wilson's Farm, Lexington, MA.

No comments:

Post a Comment